Jan 23, 2012

The Game of Life

Oh, Hasbro you've done me in. 





This weekend we did family game night at the in-laws house with Mr.Slick's parents, sister in-law, brother in-law and the nieces. Well the four girls (over the age of 6 months) decided to play Life. 

We were going 'round and niece was whooping us horribly. She literally landed on every.single.lawsuit square there was. And for those not familiar: that's $100,000 each time :( So we were playing, all of us desperately trying to keep up with the kiddo and everyone's vehicles were filling up with kids in the backseat. Mother in-law had two, niece had 2, sister in-law had a full vehicle. 

Guess who had none. 

Did ya guess? 

Do you need another minute to think about it? No, okay...it was me. 

Sister in-law even kept landing on the baby tiles even after she had a full car. And I never did. She kept offering me hers. Guess that doesn't change even in board game land.

Then after I passed the last opportunity for a baby I lost almost all my money in a lawsuit and medical bills. 

Even in the realm of games the fertile are still overly fertile and the infertile are still infertile. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry, so I decided to laugh which made everyone there (well the adults who know about our IF struggles) really uncomfortable. I'm just glad I decided to make myself laugh to avoid crying because if it was that awkward with me laughing at that situation I can't imagine how awkward things would have gotten if I had cried. 


This used to be one of my favorite games but it's now been logged away in my brain under the "Unfair to infertiles" category. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear. This sounds like one of those times when I picture the universe with a large, gloved hand which slaps me right in the face. Sometimes life (and Life) is just cruel. So sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::head desk:: I would have cried. :/ Kudos to you for keeping it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I could think about is me lifting the table up and throwing it against the wall. Game pieces flying everywhere and blank stares at the "crazy infertile".

    But you handled it with much grace and poise than I would have lol

    But seriously, I'm sorry and that really really is unfair.

    ReplyDelete